March 18, 2020
THE PRESIDENT’S NEWSLETTER
Detroit LERA Chapter
By Marick F. Masters
Interim Chair, Dept. of Finance
Professor of Business
Wayne State University
2771 Woodward Ave.
Detroit, MI 48201
Dear LERA Chapter Members and Friends:
Dear Detroit Area LERA Chapter Members and Friends,
We have had several active months between September 2019 and February 2020, during which we held five breakfasts and one evening program, each of which was well attended and informative:
- September 26, 2019. “Legal Updates from the NLRB,” with presenter Terry Morgan.
- October 24, 2019. “Legal Updates from MERC,’ with presenter Sidney McBride.
- October 30, 2019 [evening program] “Independent Contractor or Employee?” with presenter Brad Raymond.
- December 12, 2019. “An Overview of Michigan Wage and Hour Laws and Investigations,” with presenters Sylvester Jackson and Randall Harrison of the Michigan Wage and Hour Division.
- January 23, 2020. “OK. It Is About You,” with presenter Brain Shulent
- February 20, 2020. “Employment Mediation and Arbitration as Career Choices,” with presenter Jan Holdinski.
We thank each of the presenters and Robert Chiaravalli and Ruthanne Okun for helping to coordinate the breakfasts. As always, we appreciate the support of the members and our guests.
- WE HAVE DECIDED TO CANCEL THE MARCH BREAKFAST MEETING AND TO POSTPONE THE SPRING EVENING PROGRAM DUE TO THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC.
* We will be in touch later about the Spring/Summer program once we are through the current situation.
* We have invited Mr. Sam Bagenstos of MERC to present at our evening program when we are able to schedule it.
- I am pleased to announce that Ms. Raya Danielle York has volunteered to be our Chapter’s Communications Director. She will be working with us and Emily Smith (of the national LERA office at the University of Illinois) on updating the web site and other matters relating to communications. We welcome Raya and look forward to working with her.
Please stay tuned for more updates as we move things forward. We are going to get a lot of electronic functionalities and communications channels going in the next several weeks before we select leaders for next year.
I thank everyone for their support over the past few years while serving as your president. These have been challenging and interesting times, and I been very fortunate to have had such a great group of colleagues to work with during this period.